The end of a good film is always the start of an interesting conversation.

Where it goes after that is up to us.

Any era or genre, it's all accepted here. Let the Detour begin...

Monday, January 11, 2010

day 11 - Top 5 Comatose Monday Night Films

OK film fans, I'm feeling a little tired and run down tonight, typical of a Monday night, so I'm feeling like this will be brief. I've added the ability to choose a reaction to the posts so check it out. On a night like this I will usually veg out and go with a tried and true comedy or action film and since my energy is as low right now as Mark McGwire's before he takes his "vitamins", I think the time is right for a Top 5 Comatose Monday Night Films list. Once again, if you have to ask why 5 films, please talk to the staff at Championship Vinyl.

5. Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle A stoner film is always good for a crappy Monday! No intricate plots or highbrow subtext here. While I do not smoke the sinsemilla, I am a fan of the films. From 70's Up in Smoke to more recent films like Half Baked and even Pootie Tang, I'm always ready to let my mind go and mellow out to some stoner hi-jinks. Get it? High...Jinks... yeah man, melloowwww.

4. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy Will Ferrell is wildly hit or miss when it comes to films, but he does have a few that are classic mindless fun. Old School,
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Blades of Glory and Step Brothers can also fit the bill of lobotomy comedy but my Ron is my go to pick.

3. Big Trouble in Little China From one of my all time favorite directors, John Carpenter. Better known for his string of amazing horror films, this little gem is part action, part comedy and all B-movie fun! I haven't always been a fan of Kurt Russel's comedies but as Jack Burton, a truck drivin', tough talking wise ass, he's nailed it.

2. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 Can't go wrong with some good old fashion butt whoopin' when you're ass is attached to the couch. This film has it all, hand to hand, sword fights, Anime snipers and enough blood to fill a swimming pool. Quentin Tarantino is the man and if you're looking for some fun and senseless violence, look no further. I can also go for a little Death Proof, but it can get a little dialogue heavy. If I wanted that I would have picked up a book. If you get really lucky, you can throw Death Race 2000 in here, but more on that later.

And for the finale, a little something out of the ordinary... just kidding.

1. Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny A new classic in the cannon of stupidity. I could have just as easily placed Hot Rod here but, I've already revealed my love for that particular brand of stupidity (day 4). If you have not been introduced to the subtle styling of JB and KG, this film will immerse you without regard for your soul. You will quickly learn the ways of the P.O.D and cock push-ups. You may now begin your tutelage.



1 comment:

  1. Like you, it's already been a long week and it just got started! So thank you for your Monday night picks! THEY ROCKED!! I've never seen any of the Tenacious D stuff and your link was the best! I love the evolution of Jack Black's wardrobe! Thanks again for some good laughs! and the u-tube links! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete