The end of a good film is always the start of an interesting conversation.

Where it goes after that is up to us.

Any era or genre, it's all accepted here. Let the Detour begin...

Sunday, February 7, 2010

day 37 - Top 5 Football Films

OK film fans, the Super Bowl has come and gone and the bitter realization that the next game is six months away has slowly started to creep into my psyche. Thank goodness for March Madness. Oh yeah, and the basketball one too. Anyway, since tonight was the curtain call for the NFL and I'm groggy from beer and pizza, it seems like a good time for a list. I'll let my friends Championship Vinyl explain how my Top 5 Football Films will work.

Before I get started let me end some suspense right now, Rudy is not on this list. I know there are many fans of this film and rightfully so, it's a Hollywood "feel good" film based on a true story. Honestly, it's not that I dislike the film; I guess I'm just confused about how it's so motivational for so many people. A 5'6", 165 lb walk-on, in his last chance as a Sr., gets to play a few downs at the end of the game thanks to the kind heart (not in the film) of the Head coach. On the last play of the game, and his 1 game career, he gets a sack and becomes only the second Notre Dame player to be carried off the field. There's no doubting it's a great human interest story, but to me it's about as inspirational as stories of mentally handicapped team managers getting into various high school games. Sure they're great, feel good stories, but inspirational? I would say Invincible with Mark Wahlberg is more motivational and has a better ending. Which message is better: never give up, even if you don't have the tools to succeed or if you have ability it's never too late to use it?

5. Remember the Titans If all you're making is a film about football, it better be pretty damn good to stand out. But if you can add in a true story about race, forced integration and the realization that skin color teaches you less about a person than their character and you have a film for the ages.

4. The Program Here it comes, I can hear the bitching and moaning now! College football is filled with a million dirty little secrets that Head coaches, A.D's and the NCAA spend a great deal of time and money hiding from us. This film decided not to blow anymore smoke up our collective asses. It's not a great film, the character development is pretty weak, but considering the lack of films made that even remotely address any of these issue, let alone the so called "student-athlete" farce, it gets extra kudos for originality.

I just realized how much I'm cannibalizing myself, but it's too late to turn back now. Way back on day 7 I posted my Top 5 Sports Films and it turns out the Venn Diagrams overlap heavily on this list. As such, I'll try to add some new info.

3. All the Right Moves This film came out in 1983, the same year as Risky Business, when Tom Cruise was a rising star who was actually believable in his roles. In my opinion, as I've discussed before, this film nails the feel of high school football better than any other. It's also centered on a common plot device, someone using sports to better their position in life. He knows that football can get him out of his small, dead-end town, but his education will keep him out and create a new life. But in his struggle he learns the importance of kindness and respect that would otherwise be lost in teenage selfishness.

2. Brian's Song There are a lot of things I could say about this film. I could wax poetic about the bromance, the inspiration, the nostalgia and the heartfelt tone of the film. I could discuss how it's refreshingly direct in handling the racial issues faced by Brian Piccolo and Gayle Sayers without every seeming preachy. Or how the friendship between the men is inspirational and is portrayed with subtlety and ease by James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. But, as with all great films, it shows us what true friendship is rather than telling us. It's this rare gift that has allowed this film to endure as a classic.

1. North Dallas Forty I absolutely love this look at the seamy side of professional sports. Much like #4 on the list, it peels back a layer we all know exists but consciously ignore. It takes a serious look at just about all the troubles we see sports stars deal with. The greatest truth in professional sports is stated clearly from one of the players, "Every time I call it a game you call it a business, every time I call it a business you call it a game." Although it's a little dated, and it pains me to say this, they just don't make films like this anymore. And yes, I'm looking at you Oliver Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment