The end of a good film is always the start of an interesting conversation.

Where it goes after that is up to us.

Any era or genre, it's all accepted here. Let the Detour begin...

Sunday, March 28, 2010

day 86 - Superman Doomsday

OK film fans it looks as though yesterday was just the tip of the iceberg and today the real extent of this malady is making itself known. Since I've spent the better part of the day in bed it's made me feel like a sick little kid and nothing goes better with that than cartoons. Now I'm sure this isn't a shock but as a kid I had a rather sizable comic book collection and was a secret comic book nerd in high school. Once in college I had neither the funds nor the time to spend on such extravagances and spent my funds more wisely on girls, pizza and beer.

Even though I no longer collect comics a few years ago I heard about a graphic novel called "The Death of Superman." I actually own a copy of the reprinted collection which stands as the last comic I've purchased. I still find that a little odd since I was always more of a Marvel kid. It was a spin off story about Superman's fight to the death with a creature whose only goal is the destruction of all life, regardless of its form. It was decent, but not exciting. My age had caught up with me and I no longer thought these endless permutations of characters were that interesting. But while lying in bed today, looking for something to watch on my laptop so I could keep the streak alive while feeling both sick and run down, I came across something that would have restored my energy as a kid.

Superman Doomsday
is one of the growing collection of straight to DVD films aimed today's kids who are fans of the comic icons like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man. Feeling quite ill I thought "what the hell" this might cheer my day up some. Unfortunately I'm not a kid anymore. What's worse, the story is so dark and heavy, dealing with death, loss, morality, genetic engineering and so forth, that I can't imagine a kid like my 8 year old nephew finding the whole thing interesting. It's a bit much for kids and far too little for adults. It still feels like a Saturday morning cartoon that was expanded to 80 minutes and threw in some scarier imagery. I'd like to say I enjoyed this but I ended up wishing I had just sucked it up, walked downstairs and grabbed my copy of Iron Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment